Tom focuses his practice on real estate and land use law involving a wide range of transactions and litigation matters. Tom has practiced real estate law since 2010, and he brings a unique understanding of a client's business needs having worked extensively in the real estate development and constructions business prior to practicing law.
Tom represents individuals and privately held companies in the acquisition, disposition, leasing, financing and development of real property. As a former Assistant Solicitor of Wilmington, Tom represented the city as a lender in private and public residential and commercial real estate transactions and as a participating jurisdiction in federally funded affordable housing programs.
During his tenure as an Assistant Solicitor, Tom also represented the Real Estate and Housing Department, the Planning Department, the Planning commission, the Zoning Board of Adjustment and various other boards and commissions of the city. This experience provides Tom with a sophisticated understanding of municipal, land use and administrative law which is extremely beneficial during his representation of private clients seeking land use and other administrative approvals.
Tom's litigation experience involves a side range of real property and land use disputes. His experience includes cases dealing with quite title actions, zoning ordinances, building codes, administrative decisions, title claims and easements rights and private nuisance actions. Tom's practice also involves mechanics lien actions, excess proceeds petitions and a wide range of business related matters.
- Acquisition, financing and development of condominiums, residential developments, affordable housing facilities, public utility buildings and public parking garages
- Commercial real estate leasing
- Mechanics' Liens
- Litigation involving private nuisance, legally nonconforming uses, zoning disputes, government assessments against real property
- Sheriff's sale excess proceeds petitions
- Monition actions
- Foreclosure proceedings
- Zoning Board of Adjustments appeals
- Historic Preservation Commission appeals
Delaware State Bar Association
- Real Property Section
- LGBT Section, Vice Chair
- LGBT Section, Past Secretary
News & Media Mentions
- Thomas P. Carney Participates In National Business Institute's CLE Program on Zoning and Land UseNovember 1, 2015
- November 23, 2014
Tom maintains residences in both Wilmington and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and has an active statewide practice.
Summer clerk for the Honorable Linda K. Caracappa, US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the District of Delaware
Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2010
The Pennsylvania State University Smeal College of Business, B.S., 2007
Assistant Solicitor of Wilmington