Bryan Townsend is Of Counsel in Morris James LLP’s Corporate and Fiduciary Litigation Group and Business Litigation Group. Bryan also serves as a State Senator in the Delaware General Assembly. Bryan focuses his legal practice on litigation involving fiduciary, corporate, and commercial matters in the Delaware Court of Chancery, where from 2009-2010 he served as a law clerk to Chancellor William B. Chandler III.
He has represented directors and officers, as well as stockholders, in litigation matters ranging from appraisal valuations to disclosure claims to claims for breaches of fiduciary duties. Bryan has advised special committees and directors on the discharge of their fiduciary duties in reviewing proposed transactions, and he has coordinated with expert witnesses on methodologies and developments in appraisal and valuation law.
Bryan has also represented companies involved in commercial litigation, including post-closing price adjustments and stock purchase agreements.
In addition to his experience in the Court of Chancery, Bryan has represented clients involved with business litigation in the Superior Court of Delaware and the United States District Court for the District of Delaware, as well as pro bono clients in Delaware Family Court.
In the Delaware General Assembly, Bryan serves as Chair of the Senate’s Health, Children & Social Services Committee and as a member of several other committees, including the Banking, Business & Insurance Committee and the Capital Improvement Committee. Since becoming a State Senator in 2012, Bryan has sponsored several pieces of legislation that have updated the Delaware General Corporation Law and Delaware’s Unclaimed Property law, and he has chaired or served on task forces that have examined Delaware’s fundamental revenue streams and infrastructure needs.
- Delaware State Bar Association
- The Office of the Child Advocate, Delaware, Guardian ad litem on behalf of abused and neglected children
- Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Volunteer Attorney for victims of domestic violence
- Widener Law School's Veterans Law Clinic, Volunteer Attorney for veteran with service injuries
University of Delaware Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2011-2015
University of Delaware Board of Trustees, Member, 2004-2005
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Delaware, Big Brother, 2010-2014
- Represented majority owners of a closely-held company in a buyout of a minority stockholder
- Secured a pre-merger class-action settlement on behalf of company, with no change in pecuniary consideration for class members
- Advised a special committee of disinterested directors regarding negotiations and litigation for a going-private transaction proposed by a controlling stockholder
- Litigated breach-of-contract actions in various settings, including post-closing price adjustments and stock purchase agreements
- Expedited litigation relating to an international joint-venture
- Litigation involving duties in Delaware limited liability companies
- Discovery matters, including expedited e-discovery and privilege logs
News & Media Mentions
Articles & Publications
- August 29, 2012Delaware Business Court Insider
- Who Receives Statins? Variations in the Physician Prescribing Patterns for Patients with Coronary Heart Disease201017 Applied Econ. Letters 1647, 2010
"As a corporate litigator, I prioritize building a deep understanding of my clients' business operations and goals; I aim for an efficient resolution of litigation that enables my clients to achieve sustained success in their business endeavors." - Bryan Townsend
Harry S. Truman Scholar, 2003, Delaware
Yale Journal on Regulation, Co-Editor-in-Chief and Articles Editor, 2007-2009
The Honorable William B. Chandler, III, Delaware Court of Chancery
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2013
United States District Court, District of Delaware
Yale Law School, J.D., 2009
University of Cambridge, M.Phil., 2006
Peking University - Beijng Daxue, 2005
University of Delaware, B.A., magna cum laude, With Honors with Distinction, 2004
University of Delaware, M.A., 2003
University of Delaware, B.S., magna cum laude, With Honors, 2003