Peter B. Ladig is the Vice Chair of the Corporate and Commercial Litigation Group at Morris James.
Pete concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate governance and commercial litigation, stockholder litigation, fiduciary duties, partnership and limited liability company disputes, and class action and derivative litigation. Pete represents both stockholders and directors in corporate litigation in the Court of Chancery in a wide range of matters, including advancement of legal fees and expenses, reviews of elections of directors, requests to inspect books and records, and claims for breaches of fiduciary duties. He also represents corporations and other entities in commercial disputes involving breach of contract claims and claims arising under the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware. Pete has served on the Rules Committee of the Court of Chancery since 2011 and served as one of the principal drafters of Rule 5.1.
Pete also has extensive experience in the growing area of the “business divorce,” particularly requests for judicial dissolution to dissolve limited liability companies and corporations. Pete is active in the Business Divorce Subcommittee of the Business and Corporation Litigation Committee of the Business Law Section of the ABA, and spoke on one of the best attended panels at the Business Law Section’s 2015 Spring Meeting titled “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, err...Business Partner: The Essentials of Business Divorce in Privately Held Entities.” Pete co-authored an article published in the Fall 2015 volume of The Business Lawyer titled, “Judicial Dissolution: Are the Courts of the State that Brought You In the Only Courts that Can Take You Out?” Pete also co-hosts CorpCast, the firm’s podcast discussing corporate and commercial law in Delaware.
Pete also uses his litigation experience to advise special committees of boards of directors in analyzing conflict transactions or investigating alleged wrongdoing. Pete and Morris James have represented several of each type of committee.
Pete has been recognized by Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the years 2008-2009 and 2011-2015 as one of the leading Chancery Court practitioners in Delaware. Chambers USA 2015 described Pete as “a seasoned corporate and commercial practitioner who remains a top choice for class and derivative actions and claims requesting the advancement of legal fees and expenses.” Chambers USA 2013 reported, Pete's "legal analysis is excellent, his knowledge of Delaware law is brilliant," and he is also a "very personable guy." He is "just about everything that you would want with a co-counsel," say interviewees. In Chambers USA 2012, Pete was described as someone who "knows the courts, has a good sense of the law and has a good sense of strategy - I feel I can rely on him for everything related to a Delaware lawsuit." Pete has also been recognized by Delaware Super Lawyers® in 2013-2015 for Business Litigation and by Best Lawyers® in 2013 and 2014.
- Special Committees
- Corporate control disputes
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Actions seeking advancement and indemnification
- Shareholder rights disputes
- Breach of contract claims
- Actions brought by directors, officers, stockholders and creditors
Judicial dissolution of limited liability companies and corporations
Delaware State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Richard S. Rodney American Inn of Court
Court of Chancery Rules Committee
In re Sanchez Energy Derivative Litigation
Represented alleged aider and abettor of breach of fiduciary duty
Comerica Bank v. Global Payments Direct, Inc.
Representing member of a limited liability company in action seeking dissolution of limited liability company
In re Colfax Corporation Stockholder Derivative Litigation
Representing investor in company and director appointed by the investor in claims arising out of payment to investor in exchange for voluntary conversion of preferred stock into common stock
In re Interstate General Media Holdings, Inc.
Represented member of a LLC seeking dissolution of the LLC and successfully obtained order requiring open-outcry auction only among members of LLC.
The EB Trust, et al. v. Information Management Services, Inc.
Representing stockholders, directors and officers in action seeking dissolution of a Delaware corporation.
Trident USA Health Services, LLC v. Dr. Jason Liu
Representing seller of business against indemnification claims arising out of alleged breaches of purchase and sale agreement.
In re Bermor, Inc., et al.
Representing stockholder in dissolution proceeding brought pursuant to 8 Del. C. § 273.
The North River Insurance Company
Representing The North River Insurance Company in coverage litigation pending in the Superior Court as well as an action in the Court of Chancery seeking an anti-suit injunction against the plaintiff in the Superior Court action
Special Litigation Committee of International Textile Group, Inc.
Represented Special Litigation Committee charged with investigating potential claims of wrongdoing arising out of company’s acquisition of an affiliate of the controlling stockholder
In re McMoRan Exploration Co. Stockholders Litigation
Represented certain directors of McMoRan Exploration Co. in expedited litigation seeking injunction to halt acquisition of McMoRan by Freeport Copper & Gold, Inc.
Special Committee of Directors of International Textile Group, Inc.
Represented Special Committee of publicly traded company on debt-for-equity swap proposed by controlling creditor and stockholder of company
Starr Investments Cayman II, Inc. v. China Media Express Holdings, Inc., et al.
Representing two former directors of China Media Express Holdings, Inc. in matter pending in United States District Court for the District of Delaware alleging securities violations by officers and directors of company
In re China Integrated Energy,. Inc. Stockholder Litigation
Representing certain of the directors of China Integrated Energy, Inc. in putative derivative action pending in the Court of Chancery arising out of internet reports that company had misstated its financial condition
City of Tamarac Firefighter Pension Trust Fund, et al. v. Carl C. Icahn, et al.
Represent independent directors of CVR Energy, Inc. in Court of Chancery against claims relating to purchases of company stock by affiliates of Carl Icahn
News & Media Mentions
- August 16, 2016Best Lawyers®
- July 25, 2016
- May 27, 2016Chambers USA
- May 13, 2016Delaware Super Lawyers
- November 24, 2015
- December 10, 2015
- October 20, 2015Benchmark Litigation 2016
- Peter B. Ladig and Elizabeth A. Powers Co-Author Two Articles Discussing Delaware Courts for the The Business LawyerOctober 6, 2015ABA The Business Lawyer
- September 29, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 27, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- May 15, 2015
- March 27, 2015
- December 30, 2014
- December 18, 2014
- October 21, 2014
- August 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- January 23, 2014Delaware Super Lawyers®
- August 15, 2013Best Lawyers® 2014
- July 11, 2013
- May 29, 2013Chambers USA
- January 9, 2013Delaware Super Lawyers®
- December 7, 2012
- August 30, 2012
- July 13, 2012
- June 4, 2012
- June 1, 2010
Articles & Publications
- September 28, 2016Delaware Business Court Insider
- August 10, 2016Delaware Business Court Insider
- June 22, 2016Delaware Court Business Insider
- May 4, 2016Delaware Business Court Insider
- January 28, 2016Delaware Business Court Insider
- Judicial Dissolution: Are the Courts of the State that Brought You In the Only Courts that Can Take You Out?October 13, 2015American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, The Business Lawyer
- September 2, 2015Delaware Business Court Insider
- May 27, 2015Delaware Business Court Insider
- February 18, 2015Delaware Business Court Insider
- October 29, 2014Delaware Business Court Insider
- September 24, 2014Delaware Business Court Insider
- December 4, 2013Delaware Business Court Insider
- July 31, 2013Delaware Business Court Insider
- January 23, 2013Delaware Business Court Insider
- July 11, 2012Delaware Business Court Insider
- March 21, 2012Delaware Business Court Insider
- January 25, 2012Delaware Business Court Insider
- November 2, 2011Delaware Business Court Insider
- September 7, 2011Delaware Business Court Insider
- August 17, 2011Delaware Business Court Insider
- May 11, 2011Delaware Business Court Insider
- April 20, 2011Delaware Business Court Insider
- March 30, 2011Delaware Business Court Insider
Latest Blog Posts
- Pleading Tortious Interference With Prospective Business Relations Claim
- How to Determine Whether the Statute of Limitations or Laches Applies
- A Fun New Fact Pattern for Demand Futility
- What is Business Divorce?
- CorpCast Episode 7: Better Know a Judge: the Honorable Mary M. Johnston of the Delaware Superior Court
- CorpCast Episode 6: A Brief Introduction to the Delaware Rapid Arbitration Act
- Rare Guidance on the Duty to Supplement Interrogatory Responses
- Rule 5.1 Gets Its First Major Test
- View More
Delaware Business Litigation Report
Videos & Podcasts
- CorpCast Episode 11: Better Know a Judge: Vice Chancellor Joseph R. Slights, III of the Delaware Court of ChanceryMarch 31, 2016
- March 24, 2016
- February 12, 2016
- July 23, 2015
- CorpCast Episode 7: Better Know a Judge: the Honorable Mary M. Johnston of the Delaware Superior CourtJune 18, 2015
- June 12, 2015
- May 27, 2015
- CorpCast Episode 4: Better Know a Judge: Vice Chancellor J. Travis Laster of the Delaware Court of ChanceryApril 16, 2015
- April 13, 2015
- March 19, 2015
- March 11, 2015
Chambers USA reported, Pete's "legal analysis is excellent, his knowledge of Delaware law is brilliant," and he is also a "very personable guy." He is "just about everything that you would want with a co-counsel," say interviewees.
Delaware Today® "Top Lawyers," 2014
Best Lawyers®, 2013-2017
Chambers USA, Recognized for work in the Delaware Court of Chancery, 2008-2009, 2011-2016
Delaware Super Lawyers®, 2013-2016
Litigation Council of America, Fellow
Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
United States District Court for the District of Delaware
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Emory University School of Law, J.D., With Distinction, 1996
Yale University, B.A., 1993