Latest Blog Posts
- Court of Chancery Awards Mootness Fee for “Helpful” Supplemental Disclosures
- What is Business Divorce?
- Dell Shareholders' Appraisal Claims Denied After Voting Mishap
- Court Upholds Allegedly Unfair Master Limited Partnership Transaction
- Court of Chancery Explains When a Stockholder’s Right to Remove Directors May Be Limited to “For Cause” Only Removals Albert H. Manwaring, IV, Albert J. Carroll
- Court Of Chancery Explains The Continuing Wrong Doctrine
- CorpCast Episode 7: Better Know a Judge: the Honorable Mary M. Johnston of the Delaware Superior Court
- CorpCast Episode 6: A Brief Introduction to the Delaware Rapid Arbitration Act
- View More
- Superior Court of Delaware Confirms D&O Policy Provides Coverage for Investigation Costs Associated with Shareholder Derivative Demands
Delaware Business Litigation Report
Delaware Insurance Law Report
Delaware eDiscovery Report
Corporate and Fiduciary Litigation
Representing our clients’ interests both in court and out requires in-depth legal knowledge and a commitment to seeking innovative solutions that protect businesses. Morris James LLP has an extensive corporate and fiduciary litigation practice representing some of the nation’s most prominent organizations in both state and federal issues.
Corporate and Fiduciary Law
Morris James regularly tries cases in the Delaware Court of Chancery, the premier court in the United States for corporate law and fiduciary litigation, and one of our partners serves as a member of the Court of Chancery Rules Committee. We also try corporate and commercial disputes in the Delaware Superior Court and the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.
We are available to provide advice, representation and assistance in a wide range of business matters. Examples of our corporate and fiduciary litigation experience include:
- Defense of claims of breach of fiduciary duties by directors arising out of merger and sale of asset transactions
- Prosecution and defense of class and derivative actions to recover damages for self-dealing
- Prosecution and defense of books and records actions
- Substantial judgment for breach of directors’ fiduciary duties in over-compensating themselves
- Prosecution and defense of appraisal claims
- Prosecution and defense of claims for advancement and indemnification
- Defense of breach of fiduciary duty claims arising out of a proxy contest
- Dissolution, deadlock and other claims arising out of "business divorce"
As businesses grow, their legal needs will change. At Morris James, we pride ourselves on developing long-term relationships with our corporate clients. We get to know our clients and their businesses better, further refining the level of communication and service we provide. From crisis management to long-term strategizing, we help our clients make the smart decisions that promote their success.
Court Specific Management
Each of Delaware’s three major trial courts has its own Delaware rules and best practices. While each of our litigation partners may try cases in any of those courts, our practices in each court are administered by senior partners whose careers have focused on litigation in each court. Clark Collins is the Chair of the Business Litigation Group and Lewis Lazarus is the Chair of the Corporate and Fiduciary Litigation Group.They are both members of the Delaware State Bar Association’s Council that annually proposes legislation to the General Assembly to revise the statutes applied by that Court. Peter Ladig is Vice Chair of the Corporate and Fiduciary Litigation Group, and is also a member of the Court of Chancery Rules Committee. The United States District Court practice is administered by Mary Matterer and Richard Herrmann, who, in addition to his trial work, has been appointed a Special Master by the District Court for discovery disputes. Together with Ken Dorsney, Mary and Richard have over 100 pending cases in the Delaware Federal District Court. Jason Jowers administers the Firm’s Superior Court business litigation, including its Complex Civil Litigation Division. He is a court-appointed member of the Superior Court Complex Commercial Litigation Division Advisory Committee.
Our lawyers are listed in Chambers USA, Benchmark Litigation, Best Lawyers®, and Delaware Super Lawyers® for their litigation skills, particularly in the Court of Chancery.
Our attorneys have experience in litigating significant corporate decisions in the Delaware Supreme Court and Court of Chancery, representing stockholders, directors, and corporations.
Delaware Business Litigation Report
Morris James maintains the Delaware Business Litigation Report, a blog featuring summaries and analysis of Delaware business litigation.