David H. Williams is the Managing Partner of Morris James. He has more than 35 years of experience in the areas of employment law and education law, representing private and public employers, 17 school districts, a college, and 2 private schools.
Dave represents employers in a wide variety of litigation matters, administrative proceedings, arbitration, and collective bargaining issues, as well as counsels and represents educational institutions in the full spectrum of legal issues.
As noted in Chambers USA 2013 - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, "David Williams takes on a wide variety of work, including litigation-based matters, counseling and arbitration, particularly with respect to collective bargaining agreements. He brings a "thorough, comprehensive and caring approach, uniformly and without exception" to his work, and is noted for his close ties with the education sector."
- Representation of employers in all varieties of litigation and administrative proceedings, including employment discrimination, discharge, constitutional claims, wage and hour issues, unfair labor practice claims, and restrictive covenants
- Arbitration involving employment related disputes, and the interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements
- Counseling aimed at avoiding employment claims
- Collective bargaining
- Counseling educational institutions on all legal issues, and representing such clients in litigation and administrative proceedings relating to discharge of employees, expulsion of students, students’ rights, Freedom of Information Act compliance, collective bargaining, constitutional issues of due process, Freedom of Speech and the Establishment Clause
Delaware State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Sections
American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Sections
National Association of School Attorneys
The Office of Child Advocate, Delaware, Guardian ad litem on behalf of abused and neglected children, Retired Volunteer (11 years)
Delaware Board of Bar Examiners, Past Member
Martin Meltzer v. City of Wilmington
Successfully secured summary judgment on the employment discrimination, constitutional and retaliation claims asserted against the City in State Court and two management employees, and secured affirmance on appeal in the Delaware Supreme Court.
Defense of Employers In Sexual Abuse Claims
Represented employers in 6 law suits involving sexual abuse claims alleging negligent selection and supervision of employees, including a pending claim. Partial summary judgment was secured in several of the cases, and, with the exception of the pending case, all of the claims were resolved.
O’Bier, et al. v. City of Rehoboth Beach.
Secured partial summary judgment in a police promotion case in which the plaintiffs asserted constitutional claims, and subsequently resolved the case.
Johnson v. Delaware Technical and Community College
Secured summary judgment for the college in action asserting First Amendment and Due Process claims. The judgment was affirmed by the Third Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court denied the Petition for Certiorari.
L&W Insurance, Inc. v. Harrington. Represented Harrington in an action seeking to enforce a covenant not to compete. The Court denied the application for an injunction because Harrington established L&W Insurance, Inc. breached the agreement creating the covenant not to compete.
Labor Arbitrations and Collective Bargaining
Numerous favorable outcomes in arbitrations involving the interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements, and negotiation of dozens of collective bargaining agreements on behalf of employers.
News & Events
News & Events
- August 15, 2017
- May 26, 2017Chambers USA
- October 24, 2016
- August 16, 2016Best Lawyers®
- May 27, 2016Chambers USA
- October 12, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- October 21, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Nine Morris James Attorneys Named as 2013 “Top Lawyers” by their Peers and Readers of Delaware Today MagazineOctober 28, 2013Delaware Today Magazine
- August 19, 2013
- August 15, 2013Best Lawyers® 2014
- August 13, 2013
- May 29, 2013Chambers USA
- January 9, 2013Delaware Super Lawyers®
- Delaware Super Lawyers® Magazine Has Recognized 7 Morris James' Attorneys As Top Legal Counsel In DelawareDecember 11, 2012
- August 30, 2012
- June 4, 2012
- May 18, 2012
- Morris James LLP Selected as the Winner of Global Law Experts' 2011 Delaware - Labor & Employment Law firm of the Year AwardNovember 7, 2011
- August 31, 2011
- May 31, 2011
- October 15, 2010
- August 4, 2010
- June 27, 2010
- June 16, 2010
- Best Lawyers® Names 15 Morris James Attorneys and Ranks the Firm #1 in Delaware for Education Law and Elder LawOctober 12, 2009
- June 10, 2009
- December 4, 2007
- June 1, 2007
Best Lawyers®, 2007-2017, 2015 & 2018 "Lawyer of the Year" for Labor Law
Delaware Today® Top Lawyers, 2013, 2014, 2016
Chambers USA, Recognized for Labor and Employment, 2004-2017
Delaware Super Lawyers®, 2007-2010, 2012-2013
Lawdragon 500, National Finalist, 2010
Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2009
Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell®, AV rating
United States District Court for the District of Delaware
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1975
Gettysburg College, B.A., 1972