Our legislative and government relations practice, chaired by Kimberly Hoffman, has earned a reputation for strong and effective bipartisan advocacy at all levels of government in Delaware. Our attorneys have been recognized as "Top Lawyers" in Government Relations by peer review in Delaware Today. Our background, contacts, and reputation at the highest levels of government, allows our group to identify important issues that affect businesses and other institutions early in the process, monitor those issues, and ensure that our client's position is considered in the public policy arena. Recently, U.S. News and World Report recognized the group as Tier 1 in its annual Delaware rankings.
Our strategy is a four-pronged approach consisting of strategic counseling, crisis management, education, and relationship building. We also draw upon the valuable resources offered to us as the sole Delaware member of State Law Resources, Inc., an international network of independent law firms that help businesses, trade associations and public policy coalitions navigate the complex and time-consuming process of managing both legal issues and state government relations.
We design, develop, and implement strategies to anticipate and respond to major events affecting clients’ interests. At times when we work with clients’ existing public relations personnel, helping the voting public and key elected and appointed decision makers understand our clients’ point of view.
Our legislative attorneys and advisors have first-hand experience with the intricacies of running a Delaware business, non-profits, and government agencies. The depth and breadth of our experience allows our group to handle virtually any public policy issue affecting our clients, with special knowledge in transportation, land use, housing, utilities and energy, education, healthcare, procurement, and taxation. We play an ongoing role in advising the public, government officials, and industry leaders about major policy initiatives and the potential consequences of legislation. We bring clients’ goals to fruition through the enactment, amendment or opposition to proposed laws and administrative rules.
Our chief aim is to understand your business and apply our keen insight, creative problem solving, experience, and well-established relationships to help you achieve your goals.
State Law Resources
Morris James is the Delaware firm selected by the State Law Resources, Inc. (SLR) network for our abilities in handling administrative, regulatory and government relations matters throughout Delaware. Our clients utilize the network for access to our counterparts throughout the United States, and Morris James can act as national coordinating counsel for multi-jurisdictional matters upon request. Morris James' SLR representatives are A. Kimberly Hoffman (302-888-5209), Nicole Freedman (302-888-6876).
- July 10, 2023
- June 1, 2023
- October 26, 2022
- August 18, 2022
- Law360 Interviews Partner Kimberly Hoffman About Zoning, Affordable Housing and Golf Course RedevelopmentAugust 1, 2022
- June 2, 2022
- February 28, 2022
- February 10, 2022
Latest Blog Posts
- After the Election a Step to the Left for the 151st General Assembly, and A Foot in the DC Door
- Delaware General Assembly Announces Plans to Reconvene Legislative Session
- Healthcare & The Governor’s Budget
- Governor John Carney Delivers State of the State Address
- Delaware’s Incremental Grapple with E-Cigs
- Prescription Monitoring Programs, Patient Privacy & SCOTUS
- Marijuana Legalization – Probably Still Not Yet
- Guns, Guns, and Guns – Tarasoff 3.0?
- View More
Delaware Healthcare Industry Blog
- September 15, 2022
- September 7, 2022
- UPDATE: Morris James LLP Offers Businesses Assistance with Recently Renewed Site Readiness Fund from Delaware Division of Small BusinessAugust 15, 2022
- April 8, 2022
- Morris James Offers Businesses Assistance with Site Readiness Fund from Delaware Division of Small BusinessFebruary 8, 2022
- October 25, 2021
- September 8, 2020
- Delaware Healthcare Businesses Note: Small Business Administration Releases Details of COVID-19 Paycheck Protection ProgramMarch 31, 2020