Morris James’ Government Relations Practice, chaired by David Williams, has earned a reputation for strong and effective bipartisan advocacy at all levels of government in Delaware. The only Delaware firm with two practitioners, Kim Hoffman and Drew Wilson, recognized as Top LawyersTM in Government Relations by peer review in Delaware Today, our background, contacts, and reputation at the highest levels of government allows our group to identify important issues that affect businesses and other institutions early in the process, monitor those issues, and ensure that our client's position is considered in the public policy arena. Recently, U.S. News and World Report recognized the group as Tier 1 in its annual rankings.
Our government relations strategy is a four-pronged approach consisting of strategic counseling, crisis management, education, and relationship building. We also draw upon the valuable resources offered to us as the sole Delaware member of State Law Resources, Inc., an international network of independent law firms that help businesses, trade associations and public policy coalitions navigate the complex and time-consuming process of managing both legal issues and state government relations.
We design, develop, and implement strategies to anticipate and respond to major events affecting clients’ interests. We develop and implement strategies, sometimes working with clients’ existing public relations personnel, to make sure both the voting public and key elected and appointed decision makers understand our clients’ point of view.
Our Government Relations' attorneys have first-hand experience with the intricacies of running a Delaware business, as well as the complexities of running a large government agency. The depth and breadth of our experience allows our group to handle virtually any public policy issue affecting our clients, with special knowledge in transportation, land use, housing, utilities and energy, education, healthcare procurement, and taxation. We play an ongoing role in advising the public, government officials, and industry leaders about major policy initiatives and the potential consequences of legislation. We bring clients’ goals to fruition through the enactment, amendment or opposition to proposed laws and administrative rules.
Our chief aim is to understand your business and apply our keen insight, creative problem solving, experience, and well-established relationships to help you achieve your goals.
State Law Resources
Morris James is the Delaware firm selected by the State Law Resources, Inc. ("SLR") network for our abilities in handling administrative, regulatory and government relations matters throughout Delaware. Our clients utilize the network for access to our counterparts throughout the United States, and Morris James can act as national coordinating counsel for multi-jurisdictional matters upon request. Morris James' SLR representatives are A. Kimberly Hoffman (302-888-5209), who currently serves on SLR’s board of directors, and Veronica O. Faust (302-260-7280).
- February 6, 2019
- January 2, 2019
- October 22, 2018Delaware Today Magazine November 2018
- Drew Wilson to Present to the Delaware Psychological AssociationOctober 3, 2018
- Bruce Tigani to Present on the New Tax Act at the 13th Annual Delaware Trust Conference Sponsored by The Delaware Bankers AssociationOctober 3, 2018
- Drew Wilson and Jim McMackin to Present for the National Business Institute on Legal Issues Involving Local GovernmentsOctober 1, 2018National Business Institute
- Drew Wilson to Participate in a Delaware Bar CLE Panel Discussion Titled "America’s Opioid Epidemic and the Law"September 26, 2018DSBA
- September 25, 2018
Latest Blog Posts
- Governor John Carney Delivers State of the State Address
- Delaware’s Incremental Grapple with E-Cigs
- Prescription Monitoring Programs, Patient Privacy & SCOTUS
- Marijuana Legalization – Probably Still Not Yet
- Guns, Guns, and Guns – Tarasoff 3.0?
- Primary Care on the Brink
- Let’s Talk Healthcare Law June 30th – The 149th Delaware General Assembly Deadline