Main Menu

Can I collect damages for emotional and psychological injuries after an accident?

It's not uncommon for people who have been the victim of a defective product or involved in a car, truck, motorcycle or slip-and-fall accident to have serious physical injuries that require expensive medical treatments or time away from work, or even limit their ability to hold a job or care for themselves.

Physical Injuries Aren't the Only Kinds of Harm That Personal Injury Victims Face

Depending on the severity of the incident or the physical injuries sustained, some victims may go on to develop emotional or psychological injuries as a result. Such injuries can affect victims in many of the same ways that physical injuries can, including requiring them to seek medical treatment and take time off of work to recover.

Fortunately, just like Delaware law gives accident and personal injury victims the right to seek compensation for medical expenses—including treatment for related mental health conditions—it also allows them to pursue damages for the mental suffering itself. This type of compensation falls under the category of non-economic damages and is often referred to as “mental anguish,” a term that encompasses a wide variety of mental suffering, including depression, anxiety, grief, fear, and distress.

Consult a Knowledgeable Personal Injury Attorney

Because mental anguish is a non-quantifiable type of damage, it's value is determined by a judge or jury based on the evidence the plaintiff and his attorney have presented. This is just one of many reasons why it's important to consult an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you build a strong case.

If you sustained serious physical and mental injuries as a result of another person or entity's negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for a wide range of damages. The skilled attorneys with the Morris James Personal Injury Group can help you understand your legal rights, as well as explore your options for compensation. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for a free initial review of your case.

Back to Page