Albert Carroll focuses his practice on litigation involving corporations and alternative entities formed under Delaware law. As a litigator, he represents and guides clients through fiduciary duty claims, contract disputes, M&A challenges, and summary proceedings under Delaware’s business statutes in the Delaware Court of Chancery and the Delaware Supreme Court.
Another component of Albert’s practice includes advising directors or committees of directors serving on the boards of Delaware corporations. As an advisor, he counsels directors on governance, fiduciary, and investigatory matters under Delaware law.
Albert also has experience providing formal opinions in non-litigated matters and assisting in expert engagements in litigated matters regarding Delaware law. These engagements have included the ethical obligations of Delaware attorneys, the fiduciary duties of directors and officers under Delaware law, and the interpretation and application of the Delaware business statutes.
- Fiduciary duty actions arising out of alleged mismanagement or self-dealing.
- Challenges to M&A transactions involving price, process and disclosures claims.
- Actions seeking or contesting the removal of directors, general partners or managing members.
- Breach of contract actions involving preferred stock.
- Books and records inspection demands.
- Breach of contract actions under the AAA Commercial Arbitration Rules.
- Advising independent directors regarding a potential going-private transaction and contractual duties in the master limited partnership context.
- Advising a special committee formed to conduct an investigation in response to a stockholder derivative demand.
- Advising a special committee formed to conduct an investigation into alleged SEC violations by the company’s employees.
- Advising directors in responding to books and records and derivative demands made by dissident directors.
Delaware State Bar Association
American Bar Association
The Office of the Child Advocate, Delaware, Guardian ad litem on behalf of abused and neglected children
Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court
News & Media Mentions
Articles & Publications
- January 17, 2017Transaction Advisors
Latest Blog Posts
- Court Of Chancery Explains Limits On Stockholder Challenges To Short-Form Mergers Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- Court Of Chancery Explains Disclosure Pleading Standards And Burdens For A Corwin Defense Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- Supreme Court Clarifies Attorney Lien Rights Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- Court Of Chancery Upholds Merger Price As Fair Value In Appraisal Action Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- Court Of Chancery Appoints Lead Counsel In Appraisal Case Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- Court Of Chancery Explains Standing To Bring Fiduciary Duty Claims After Being Forced to Sell Stock Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- Court Of Chancery Clarifies Personal Jurisdiction Over LLC Managers Edward M. McNally, Albert J. Carroll
- “Directors’ Decisions Must Be Reasonable, not Perfect” Home Depot’s Shareholder Derivative Litigation Arising from Data Breach Dismissed; Demand Was Not Excused Under Delaware Law Albert J. Carroll, Carl "Chuck" N. Kunz, III
- View More
Delaware Business Litigation Report
Boston University School of Law Public Interest Law Journal, Note Editor
Intern for Chief Justice Martha P. Grace of the Massachusetts Juvenile Court
U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2009
Pennsylvania State University, B.A., with high distinction, 2005