Professional and Personal Advantages
Every day, lawyers weigh the facts and make tough calls for clients. But decisions on their own career growth and where to build a legal practice may not be as clear cut. Options to evaluate include:
- Big city v. small town
- Megalaw v. regional powerhouse
- Extreme billable requirements v. quality of life perks
- Traditional v. modern firm culture
Legally speaking, Delaware means business. Known as the state that makes corporate law first, Delaware enjoys “wide discretion and first-mover advantages,” in the legal arena according to the Harvard Law Review.
For the tenth year, including the latest 2015 study, Delaware was ranked number one overall in Harris Poll's State Liability Systems Ranking Study conducted for the Institute for Legal Reform. Top ranking categories include:
Overall Treatment of Tort and Contract Litigation
Having and Enforcing Meaningful Venue Requirements
Treatment of Class Action Suits & Mass Consolidation Suits
Timeliness of Summary Judgment or Dismissal
Right-Sized, Professional Significance
Delaware’s legal community combines a collegial atmosphere with all the intellectual and professional rigor associated with representing clients in cases of global importance. Members of the Delaware Bar often consult with key law and decision makers during the legislative process. Delaware’s Bar Association encourages a camaraderie among its members that strengthens relations between the legal community, government entities and the public at large.
Morris James Advantages
Engaging clients and cases are just part of what Morris James offers. Other attributes that distinguish us from other law firms include:
- Hardworking, yet collegial, diverse and down-to-earth workplace
- High quality of living in an attractive location. Home-to-work commuting times range from just 10 to 20 minutes, yet we are within a short car or train ride of the major metropolitan areas of Philadelphia, New York and Washington, D.C.
- Opportunities for significant responsibility in national cases
- Firm colleagues who are leaders and mentors in the legal profession
- National recognition of excellence from Chambers USA, Best Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, and U.S. News and World Report
- Strong practice development platforms and management support
- Firm values that promote professional, civic and personal fulfillment
- Pro bono and community activities widely encouraged
Interested in how Morris James and Delaware might be the answer to your career development questions? If you are an attorney with a passion for the law, for your clients and for extending your professional development, we welcome your inquiry.
Morris James has provided a challenging and rewarding environment to learn and grow into my practice. Starting at a very early point in my career, I was given meaningful transactions to work on, with lots of responsibility and client contact, and that helped me to develop the practice I enjoy today.
"What I try to do at Morris James is remind our younger lawyers that their job is to professionally develop into excellent attorneys." - Keith Donovan, Managing Partner
Above all, the atmosphere and culture at Morris James supports and encourages initiatives by its lawyers to develop existing and new practice areas to meet the challenges facings its clients. Management listens, and then backs it up at every turn. There is no misunderstanding, it is a team effort.
I was excited to have landed at Morris James because of its reputation in the courts and the Bar, and because I enjoy working with attorneys who have such high standards. I appreciate practicing law the “right” way, and I know I can rely on my colleagues to all work together to produce a superior product.
Morris James provided a larger platform to further develop my practice. I was drawn to Morris James not only because of the depth of the firm’s practice areas and expertise of its lawyers, but the collegial and respectful way attorneys and staff work together to provide exceptional service to clients.
When I expressed an interest in pursuing an LL.M. degree in Trial Advocacy to further develop my personal and professional skills, the partners at Morris James encouraged me every step of the way.