Carl (“Chuck”) N. Kunz, III has nearly 25 years of experience representing all types of creditors in bankruptcy courts around the country and representing litigants clients in Delaware state and federal Courts.
In bankruptcy matters, Chuck represents both secured and unsecured creditors, asset purchases and other parties. Chuck also handles bankruptcy-related preference and fraudulent conveyance litigation. Chuck also assists creditors seeking to enforce rights against non-bankrupt debtors. Chuck has tried jury and bench trials in all Delaware Courts, where he has represented parties in contract and commercial disputes and defended commercial tort cases. He has authored articles related to the practice of bankruptcy for the American Bankruptcy Institute Journal.
In addition to his bankruptcy related work, Chuck also co-chairs the firm’s Data Privacy and Information Governance Group. In this role, Chuck advises companies and clients on data security, data management, privacy and appropriate exercise of fiduciary duties when dealing with privacy and data management issues. Chuck is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/US (CIPP/US) and is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). He is a member of the Technology Forum of Delaware and The Richard K. Herrmann Technology American Inn of Court. Chuck is a frequent author and speaker on issues relating to privacy, data management, and recent developments in Delaware law and legislation relating to these issues.
In Chambers USA (2017) - Chuck is described as "methodical and practical."
In Chambers USA (2016) - Chuck is noted for being "instantly responsive to phone calls and emails" and for being "proactive in moving things along."
In Chambers USA (2014) - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Chuck is recognized for his high-quality work in written documents and as "a quick study." Sources reported that although "he facilitates resolutions and doesn't rush to litigate," he is "very good in court," and continually seeks the best interests of his clients. -
In Chambers USA (2013) - Chuck is described as being "very careful and adept in court" where he is noted for his courtroom presence.
In Chambers USA (2012) - Chuck received accolades for his "years of proven experience" and for his "strong and prompt communication skills."
In Chambers USA (2011) "Carl Kunz earned "recognition for his creditor work. He is an experienced litigator, and clients welcome his clear legal acumen and responsiveness, saying he is 'a good example of the ideal outside counsel.'"
Delaware State Bar Association
Delaware Bankruptcy Inn of Court
American Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Delaware Board of Bar Examiners
International Association of Privacy Professionals (CIPP/US)
ATOPTECH, Inc. (Wilmington, DE)
Co-counsel to successful purchase of assets.
American Hospice Management Holdings, LLC (Wilmington, DE)
Co-counsel to DIP lender and successful purchaser of Hospice facilities.
FKF Madison Park Group Owner, LLC, et al. (Wilmington, DE)
Lead trial counsel for plaintiffs in Green Bridge Capital, S.A. et al. v. Ira Shapiro in contested corporate-control litigation. Following expedited litigation, including discovery and trial, judgment was entered in favor of plaintiffs.
Lead counsel for commercial landlords in bankruptcy courts throughout the United States including Delaware, New York, Florida, California, Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, Arizona.
Preference and Fraudulent Conveyance Litigation.
Lead counsel and Delaware co-counsel for defendants in preference and fraudulent conveyance litigation throughout the United States including Delaware, Florida, Tennessee, California, Arizona, Colorado, New York, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Illinois.
Articles & Publications
- February 9, 2018
- September 2017Law Journal Newsletters, Cybersecurity Law & Strategy
- January 27, 2016
- August 27, 2015
- August 5, 2015
- July 7, 2015
- June 29, 2015
- March 27, 2015
- November 2014
Latest Blog Posts
- “Directors’ Decisions Must Be Reasonable, not Perfect” Home Depot’s Shareholder Derivative Litigation Arising from Data Breach Dismissed; Demand Was Not Excused Under Delaware Law Albert J. Carroll, Carl "Chuck" N. Kunz, III
- Delivery Agent, Inc. Files Chapter 11; Will Seek to Sell
- Noble Environmental Power, LLC Files Chapter 11
- Golfsmith Hits Into Trouble: Enters Chapter 11
- Swift Energy Files Prepack Chapter 11
- Fuhu, Inc. Files Chapter 11 As Part of Proposed Sale to Mattel
- Taylor-Wharton International LLC Files Chapter 11
- Mining and Exploration Company, Santa Fe Gold Corporation, Seeks Protection in Chapter 11
- Hercules Offshore, Inc. and 14 Affiliates File a Prepackaged Chapter 11 Case
- View More
- New Delaware Breach Notification Law Will Require Diligent Preparation and Education
- Chuck Kunz and Ian McCauley Published in Cybersecurity Law & Strategy Carl "Chuck" N. Kunz, III, Ian D. McCauley
Delaware Business Litigation Report
Delaware Business Bankruptcy Report
Delaware eDiscovery Report
News & Events
News & Events
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business Recognizes 15 Morris James Lawyers and Issues 5 Firm Practice Rankings in the 2018 EditionMay 7, 2018Chambers USA, 2018 Edition
- September 27, 2017Chase Center at the Riverfront, Wilmington, DE
- August 15, 2017
- May 26, 2017Chambers USA
- May 18, 2017
- February 18, 2017
- Partner Carl “Chuck” Kunz, III to Speak on Cybersecurity at the Commercial-Industrial Realty Council of New Castle CountyFebruary 2, 2017
- January 30, 2017The News Journal
- September 14, 2016
- September 12, 2016
- August 16, 2016Best Lawyers®
- May 27, 2016Chambers USA
- May 4, 2016
- February 24, 2016Delaware Law Weekly
- February 18, 2016
- October 13, 2015Delaware Business Times
- September 2, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- March 31, 2015
- August 18, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- August 15, 2013Best Lawyers® 2014
- May 29, 2013Chambers USA
- August 30, 2012
- June 4, 2012
- June 16, 2010
- June 10, 2009
Pro Bono attorney working with the Delaware Office of the Child Advocate
American Alpine Club
Appalachian Mountain Club
Boy Scouts of America
Certified Information Privacy Professional/US (CIPP/US)
Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
Chambers USA, Recognized for Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2008-2018
Best Lawyers®, 2013-2018
The Christopher W. White Distinguished Access to Justice Achievement Award: “For exemplary recent contribution to Access to Justice services and standing as a role model to other attorneys,” 2012 Recipient
Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Rating
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware
U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Widener University Delaware Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1993
University of New Hampshire, B.A., 1988