Mike Owen is a Partner in the Morris James Personal Injury Group. Mike works with clients in all our offices. He is a civil litigation attorney, whose practice focuses on personal injury, maritime injury, and workers’ compensation matters. He has a wide array of experience handling matters through all stages of litigation, including trials before the state courts in Delaware, New Jersey and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as well as hearings before the Industrial Accident Board. Mike is also licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court. Mike has been selected by his peers as arbitrator in personal injury matters and voted a top lawyer by Delaware Today since 2018.
Before attending law school, Mike worked for Congressman Michael N. Castle (R-DE) as a constituent advocate. While in law school, Mike clerked for the State of Delaware Attorney General’s Office handling both criminal and civil matters. Following law school, Mike worked for an insurance defense law firm defending personal injury and workers’ compensation claims on behalf of an insurance company. This experience allows Mike to prepare his clients for insurance company defense tactics. Before joining Morris James, Mike worked for a personal injury firm located in Wilmington, Delaware representing injured persons.
Mike serves as the President of the Randy J. Holland Delaware Workers' Compensation Inn of Court. Mike is a member of the Delaware Trial Lawyers Association and is a past treasurer (2014-2018).
Randy J. Holland Delaware Workers’ Compensation American Inn of Court, President, Vice-President (2019 – 2020); Treasurer (2016 – 2018)
Delaware Trial Lawyers Association, Treasurer (2014 – 2018)
Delaware Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors (2013 – 2021)
Delaware State Bar Association, Member (2010 – present)
American Bar Association, Member (2010 – present)
American Association for Justice, Member (2010 – present)
- Successfully negotiated a permanency and disfigurement claim of a severe arm injury for $500,000
- Successfully negotiated a workers' compensation and Medicare set-side claim for nearly $450,000
- Obtained an arbitration award of nearly $115,000 for motor vehicle accident injuries; insurance company offered $25,000 at mediation
- Obtained jury verdict of $90,000 in motor vehicle accident case where liability was contested; pre-suit offer was $25,000
- Successfully negotiated a permanency and disfigurement claim for $275,000; initial offer of $75,000
- Successfully mediated a $72,000 settlement for an client injured in a motor vehicle accident; pre-suit offer of $4,190
- Successfully negotiated a survivorship claim related to a motor vehicle accident for $250,000
- Successfully resolved a personal injury case related to a motor vehicle accident in the amount of $284,000
- Successfully negotiated a $200,000 settlement for an injured party in a motor vehicle accident; pre-suit offer was $30,000
- Successfully negotiated settlement contested liability case related to a motor vehicle accident in the amount of $150,000, pre-suit offer $40,000
- Obtained a $100,000 settlement in a personal injury case related to a minimal damage to vehicle claim
Latest Blog Posts
- What Damages Should You Get After a Motorcycle Accident?
- 7 Steps to Take After a Boating or Jet Ski Accident
- 10 Things To Do After a Motorcycle Accident
- What is Products Liability?
- You Have Been Hurt in a Trucking Accident. What’s Next? Do You Need a Lawyer?
- What is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident. Now What?
- What Should You Do if You are Injured by a Dog Bite in Delaware?
- View More
Delaware Injury Law Blog
Videos & Podcasts
News & Events
News & Events
- October 26, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- First Florida Tuberculosis-Tainted Surgical Case Among the Latest Filed Against Aziyo Biologics, Inc.July 2, 2021
- June 19, 2021Washington Post
- June 17, 2021Delaware Law Weekly
- May 5, 2021
- October 22, 2020
- August 21, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- January 22, 2020
- November 1, 2019
- October 22, 2019Delaware Today Magazine
- October 22, 2018Delaware Today Magazine November 2018
- February 29, 2016
Boys and Girls Clubs of Delaware, Board of Trustees Member
Boys & Girls Clubs, Greater Wilmington, President
- Board Member (2016 – present)
- Mentor (2012-2018)
- Youth of the Year Presiding Judge (2016)
- Unit Board Task Force (2016)
- Youth of the Year Judge (2015)
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Delaware, Mentor (2012 – 2017)
Ducks Unlimited - New Castle County, Committee Member (2013 – present)
Delaware Board of Canvassing (2012, 2014, 2016)
Best Lawyers, 2021 - Present
Delaware Today Top Lawyers, 2019 - Present, Personal Injury, 2018, Workers Compensation for Employee
State of Delaware, Department of Justice, Criminal Division, 2007
New Jersey, 2009
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, JD, 2008
The Pennsylvania State University, BA Political Science, Minor Business Law, 2004