Morris James represents clients in high-value, high-stakes litigation. We work multi-faceted cases from start to finish against top-tier adversaries with strict focus on achieving our client's business and litigation objectives. We use technology to control costs and manage mega-document cases to develop case management plans that are both effective and efficient.
We counsel clients with regard to contract disputes ranging from stock and asset purchase agreements, LLC and LP agreements, employment contracts, service contracts, and contracts for the sale of goods. Our attorneys frequently litigate significant contract cases in the Delaware Supreme Court, Court of Chancery, Superior Court, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
Our attorneys frequently litigate significant cases in all of the Delaware state and federal courts, including the Delaware Supreme Court, Delaware Court of Chancery, Delaware Superior Court, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
Our Contract Litigation Team
The Morris James business torts team is among the most well-respected in Delaware. Our attorneys are recognized by Chambers USA and are listed in Benchmark Litigation, Best Lawyers®, and Delaware Super Lawyers® for their business litigation skills.
Morris James is also highly regarded among the Delaware bench, as evidenced by the long list of former judges and chancellors who joined the firm, including our current partner former Vice Chancellor John Noble.
The Morris James litigation style is comforting to clients and deeply grounded in facts and court precedent, not hyperbole. We develop trusting, loyal relationships with clients and co-counsel to formulate and execute cohesive litigation strategy. Both clients and competitors respect our reasoned, accurate and focused guidance and counsel.
- Represented an Indian pharmaceutical company in multi-state sales and marketing contract disputes under Article 2 Sales of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Defended a global semiconductor manufacturer in lease to purchase equipment contracts
- Defended a Fortune 500 telecommunications company against contract and business tort claims for service charges on customer phone bills in 13 states
- Defended buyer against claims of breach of contract arising out of alleged failure to make earn-out payments required by asset purchase agreement
- Represented buyer in asserting claims under asset purchase agreement for breach of representations and warranties and release of escrow funds
- Defended buyer against breach of contract claims arising out of asset purchase agreement for allegedly failing to reimburse seller for certain expenses
- Represented party in litigating against former joint venture partners obligations under asset purchase agreement and service agreement
Morris James maintains the Delaware Business Litigation Report, a blog of all recent, significant Delaware corporate and commercial law decisions.
- P. Clarkson Collins, Jr., Partner
- Lewis H. Lazarus, Partner
- John W. Noble, Partner
- John H. Newcomer, Jr., Partner
- Albert H. Manwaring, IV, Partner
- Matthew F. Lintner, Partner
- K. Tyler O'Connell, Partner
- Patricia A. Winston, Partner
- Edward M. McNally, Of Counsel
- Albert J. Carroll, Attorney
- Kathleen A. Murphy, Attorney
- August 15, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- March 29, 2019ABA Business Law Section
- October 22, 2018Delaware Today Magazine November 2018
- October 10, 2018
- October 5, 2018
- June 12, 2018
- Lewis Lazarus Moderates Panel Discussion on Minimizing the Risks of Post-Closing Deal Litigation in M & A TransactionsMay 14, 2018
Latest Blog Posts
- Material Omissions in Proxy Prevent 'Corwin' Dismissal of Challenge to Merger
- Delaware Superior Court CCLD Dismisses Breach of Contract Action for Failure to State a Claim
- Superior Court Complex Commercial Litigation Division Holds Settlements Arising out of Dole Stockholder Litigations Constitute “Loss” Under Insurance Policies
- Delaware Superior Court Ruling Provides Guidance for Pre-Trial Motion Practice and Trial Preparation
- Superior Court CCLD Holds that Contract Defenses Can Be Applied to a Declaratory Judgment Action
- The Delaware Superior Court CCLD Dismisses Insurance Coverage Claims Against Non-Resident Defendants but Declines to Stay Litigation Against Delaware Insurers in Favor of Contemporaneously Filed New York Action
- Delaware Supreme Court Explains MFW’s Timing Requirement
- Superior Court CCLD Finds Court of Chancery Lacks Jurisdiction Over Dispute, Despite Forum Selection Clause in Agreement
- View More
Delaware Business Litigation Report
- August 15, 2019
- Chancery Decides Questions of First Impression Regarding Statutory Claims for Unlawful Dividends and Fraudulent TransfersAugust 5, 2019
- July 18, 2019
- July 3, 2019
- Lewis Lazarus Coauthors Chapter on Special Committees in ABA Publication, The Role of Directors in M&A TransactionsMay 9, 2019
- Chancery Enjoins Unfair Merger Orchestrated by Controlling Stockholder Pending Corrective DisclosuresApril 17, 2019
- March 6, 2019
- Chancery Finds Inadequate Disclosure in Connection With a Tender Offer Prevents Dismissal of a Class Action ComplaintDecember 12, 2018