Eric J. Monzo focuses on issues relating to business restructuring and insolvency. He regularly represents a wide range of stakeholders with a focus on official and unofficial committees, indenture trustees, commercial creditors and lender groups, in addition to, corporate debtors and their independent and special committee management.
Eric is widely recognized by clients and peers for his preeminent legal ability and creative solutions. Clients regard him as a true professional, who is fully prepared and focused on the business objectives.
Eric handles matters relating to the restructuring and liquidation of companies in a broad range of industries with experience in healthcare, construction, energy, finance, food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, technology, transportation, real estate and retail. While many of the matters pertain to matters pending in courts located in Delaware and involve issues of Delaware law, Eric also represents clients in multi-jurisdictional and international insolvency proceedings and litigation outside of Delaware.
- Counseling official committees of unsecured creditors and equity committees
- Counseling current and former directors, officers and advisors of debtors relating to fiduciary duties
- Advising indenture trustees, agents, and lending groups in complex restructurings
- Counseling claimants in major mass tort and business tort bankruptcies and class action litigation relating to complex issues including successor liability and coordination of resolution of mass tort claims through plans of reorganization and liquidation
- Representing financial institutions and lenders in transactions in acquisition financing, debtor-in-possession financing, mezzanine financing, leveraged and asset based financing
- Assisting secured creditors seeking to enforce rights against debtors, including through foreclosure, liens, replevin, execution and levy
- Advising prospective purchasers in 363 asset sales, including stalking horse purchasers in complex sale transactions and auctions
- Advising clients in complex cross border insolvency and asset recovery issues
American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Business Bankruptcy Committee: Chair, Chapter 11 Subcommittee; Past-Chair, Trust Indenture Subcommittee
American Bankruptcy Institute: Board of Directors; Unsecured Trade Creditors’ Committee, Co-Chair
Delaware Bankruptcy American Inn of Court
Delaware State Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Turnaround Management Association
24 Hour Fitness USA, LLC
AmCad Holdings, LLC
Axion International, Inc.
Borden Dairy Company
BlueStem Brands Inc.
Cloud Peak Energy Inc.
EHT US1 Committee
F+W Media, Inc.
Global Aviation Holdings, Inc.
Juno USA, LP
Klausner Lumber One, LLC
The Lasik Vision Institute (LVI)
Loot Crate, Inc.
Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Melinta Therapeutics, Inc.
M&G USA Corporation
Restora Healthcare Holdings, LLC
Shiloh Industries, Inc.
SportCo. Holdings, Inc.
Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Valeritas Holdings, Inc.
Vertellus Specialties Inc.
Angel Medical Systems, Inc.
Calplant I, LLC.
Morris | Schneider | Wittstadt Va., PLLC, Lead Counsel to Debtors
Punch Bowl Social (PBS BrandCo LLC), Lead Counsel to Debtors
Westlake Hospital, Lead Counsel to Debtors
Zumobi Inc., Lead Counsel to Debtor
Claire's Store Inc.
Corp. Group Banking NA.
Exide Technologies Inc.
Gibson Brands, Inc.
High Ridge Brands Co.
Magnum Hunter Resources Corp.
Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc.
Optima Specialty Steel, Inc.
Pernix Sleep, Inc.
Scottish Holdings, Inc.
UCI International, LLC
Directors and Officers
John Q. Hammons Management LLC, Lead Counsel to Independent Manager
White Eagle General Partner, LLC, Lead Counsel to Independent Manager
Jevic Transportation, Inc., Represented Secured Lender
The Beverly Hills Unified School District, Lead Counsel
Articles & Publications
- March 9, 2021Bankruptcy Law Alert
- July 2, 2020ABI Journal
- January 2020ABI Journal
- Blue Bell Creameries: Addressing the “Otherwise Unavoidable” Conundrum of the Plain Language in § 547(c)(4)(B)December 2018ABI Journal
- November 2017Turnaround Management Association
- August 17, 2017American Bankruptcy Institute
- July 2016ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee Newsletter
- October 13, 2015American Bankruptcy Institute
- March 26, 2015Delaware Business Court Insider
News & Events
News & Events
- May 5, 2022
- December 7, 2021
- October 28, 2021
- October 26, 2021
- October 18, 2021Law360
- September 9, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- May 25, 2021Chambers USA
- February 19, 2021
- October 22, 2020
- August 21, 2020
- May 15, 2020Law360
- Partner Eric Monzo Discusses First Delaware Bankruptcy Court Remote Hearing with the Wall Street JournalApril 28, 2020The Wall Street Journal
- April 24, 2020Chambers USA
- February 5, 2020
- November 1, 2019
- October 22, 2019Delaware Today Magazine
- September 12, 2019
- September 4, 2019
- May 7, 2019
- February 12, 2019Law360
- January 9, 2019Law360
- Shannon Frazier, Jonathan Strauss & Eric Monzo Present on Series LLCs: Structuring and Financing Concerns for Lenders and InvestorsNovember 14, 2018Strafford Webinar
- October 22, 2018Delaware Today Magazine November 2018
- August 15, 2018
- April 13, 2018ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting
- November 1, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- February 20, 2017
- October 24, 2016
- June 1, 2016
- July 24, 2014
- January 2, 2014
General Chair to the Combined Campaign for Justice, which helps funds many low-income Delawareans faced with critical challenges in their lives through the assistance of Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. (CLASI), Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Inc. (DVLS) and Legal Services Corporation of Delaware, Inc.
Court appointed guardian ad litem or counsel to children in family court proceedings through Delaware’s Office of the Child Advocate.
Member of the Local Rules Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
Best Lawyers, 2019 - Present
Chambers USA - Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Up and Coming), 2020 - Present
Delaware Today Top Lawyers, Business Bankruptcy, 2016 - Present; top vote-getter 2019
Delaware State Bar Association Young Lawyers Distinguished Service Award, 2018
Kathryn R. Heidt Memorial Award, ABA Section of Business Law Business Bankruptcy Committee, 2017
Law Clerk for The Honorable Mary Pat Thynge, United States Magistrate Judge, US District Court, District of Delaware
New Jersey, 2002
U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
Widener University Delaware Law School, JD, with honors, 2002
Washington & Jefferson College, BA, Business Administration--with a concentration in finance, 1999; BA, Psychology, 1999